Saturday, March 2, 2013

Update on my Christmas album

Hello, hello.

Work on the Christmas album has been coming along quite nicely.  I have all of the traditional pieces picked out, I think, as well as figuring out the music, too.  It's nice to see my abilities as a guitar player continue to improve -- I know that I am nowhere near where I'd like to be, but I can say that I'm better than I used to be, and that's a good thing.

For the traditional songs, I've decided to go with these:

I Saw Three Ships
Gloucestershire Wassail
The Coventry Carol
Silent Night
Auld Lang Syne (gonna rock this guy out on my ukelele)
Here We Come A Wassailing

I'm also planning on including a cover of Danny Wheetman's "A Christmas Wish," which is a fantastic little song that most people might recognize being sung by Kermit the Frog on the Christmas album the Muppets did with John Denver many years ago (in my opinion, still the best Christmas album ever).

I've also written my very first Christmas song, "What I Need For Christmas."  I'm still debating whether or not to try writing another one.  We'll see how it goes.

Finally, and most challenging, is that I am planning on including a poem written by Elizabeth Goudge from her wonderful book Pilgrim's Inn.  I'll share the words, because they are just lovely.

Sing hey for the moon and the starry sky,
The river, the woods, and the sea.
For the fish and birds and animals all,
And the grass so green on the lea.
But most of all for the fair Christmas rose
And the lights on the candled tree.

Sing hey for the chimney and rooftree wide,
Sing hey for the walls and the floor,
For the warmth of fire and the glowing hearth
And the welcoming open door.
But most of all for the peace and goodwill
And the joy at our deep heart's core.

Sing hey for the men, the hosts of this house.
Sing hey for the first and the last.
Sing hey for the guests who have gathered here,
Both tonight and in ages past.
And sing hey for the love between host and guest
That will hold them forever fast.

Sing hey for the God Who fashioned for us
This bountiful splendor of earth,
Sing hey for courage and wisdom and love
For beauty and healing and mirth.
But most for the Child Who on Christmas Day
Took upon Him our human birth.

My wife has suggested I try figuring out a melody on my oud to play with this, hence why this could be an incredibly challenging song to create.  But I'll give it a try.

It's finally March!  Spring is on the way!

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment